Welcome to San Dieguito Alliance!
Dear SDA Families & Friends,
The staff of SDA are thinking of you and we recognize that unsupervised time and stress are risk factors for teen substance use.
San Dieguito Alliance for Drug Free Youth was organized 20 years ago by parents, educators, students and other community members to prevent or reduce the use of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs by the youth in the cities of Del Mar, Encinitas, Solana Beach, and the communities of Carmel Valley in the city of San Diego, La Costa in the city of Carlsbad, and the unincorporated areas of the county - Elfin Forest, Fairbanks Ranch, and Rancho Santa Fe.
San Dieguito Alliance is a collaboration with schools, parents and youth organizations, city councils, law enforcement agencies, businesses, chambers, civic groups and the faith community, who are dedicated to creating a healthy community.
San Dieguito Alliance provides the following alcohol, tobacco, and drug education and prevention services:
San Dieguito Alliance provides five youth prevention programs:
- STUDY BUDDY, a program for high school teens to mentor and tutor an elementary student after school.
- Young Leaders in Healthcare, a high school campus club program that explores career opportunities and issues in the fields of medicine and public health, in partnership with Scripps Hospital, Encinitas.
- Teen Presenters, a program for high school seniors to visit elementary and middle schools to tell the students about their choice to have always been alcohol, tobacco and drug free.
- Project YO, a program for Latino teens to encourage their academic success, and to provide opportunities for community service, cultural enrichment activities and leadership trainings.
- San Dieguito Youth Partnership, a San Diego County Youth Leadership Project designed to strengthen the youth driven alcohol and other drug prevention efforts throughout the county.
Community Networking Lunch
San Dieguito Alliance hosts a quarterly community networking lunch where parents, youth, community members, civic leaders and agency staff can receive the latest in alcohol, tobacco, drug information and prevention strategies. Also our community can provide their insight into the community problems contributing to alcohol, tobacco, drug use, and their observation of possible solutions. All are welcome.
Our next Community Networking Luncheon will be:
Our Friday, June 3 Community Networking Luncheon has been POSTPONED due to unforeseen circumstances.
Friday, June 3, 2022 at 11:30 AM
START SMART DRIVING SAFETY CLASS
Start Smart is a San Dieguito Union High School District (SDUHSD) required driver safety education class. It is offered as a response to the numerous teen car crashes and related fatalities in our community. All SDUHSD students and their parents/guardians must attend a 2 hour Start Smart class in order to obtain a parking permit to park on their school campus.
Officers from the California Highway Patrol and San Diego County Sheriff's Department - Encinitas Substation will discuss traffic avoidance techniques, collision causing factors, driver/parent responsibilities, seat belt usage, dangers of driving under the influence, or being distracted, and many other important safety tips. Parents are required to remain in the class with their students for the entire 2 hours. Students must attend the class with their own parents/guardians. Attending with a friend's parent does not qualify as credit for the class.
2022-2023 calendar is now available.
Reservations are required by the hosting high school.
- REMINDER: San Dieguito Alliance, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department, and the San Dieguito Union High School District are reminding adults that providing teens with alcohol is against the law as is hosting underage drinking parties. Please call your local law enforcement office, if you see something suspicious! Be observant for any suspicious persons, activities or vehicles. You can help make a difference in the fight against crime! For Emergencies, call 9-1-1 and for Non Emergencies, call:
- (858) 565-5200 (San Diego County Sheriff's Department)
- (760) 931-2100 (Carlsbad Police Department)
- (858) 484-3154 (San Diego Police Department)
- Learn about the Social Host Laws, and other alcohol related laws that affect you and your teen.
- Use the parent teen driving contract.
- Consider a tracking program for your teen while they drive.
- Learn about the rise in OxyContin use by San Dieguito region teens.
- Encinitas and Solana Beach protect its citizens by adopting the Responsible Beverage Sales and Service ordinance requiring the owners, managers and employees of those establishments that sell or serve alcohol to be trained.
- Learn more about Energy Drinks that contain alcohol.
- Alcohol and Marijuana self assessment surveys are available online at www.e-chug.com and www.e-toke.com.
- Parents: sign up for current drug information and parenting tips newsletters at www.theantidrug.com and www.drugstory.org.